Curious Investor Behaviour

Program your mind for rational investing

Of all the challenges an investor faces, the most difficult to overcome are often those in our psychology. Cognitive biases and behavioural heuristics are a universal part of being human. But, to be effective in the stock market, we need to guard our irrational instincts and program ourselves to avoid those behavioural pitfalls.

Program your mind for rational investing


Do you feel the same about having a ‘40% chance of winning’ and ‘60% chance of losing’? The same piece of fact is often interpreted differently and can affect us differently, depending on how it is ‘framed’ or presented.

Try to question each decision and outcome by examining it from multiple angles. This helps avoid taking information at face value.

Loss Aversion

Ever found yourself hanging onto falling stocks in the hope of a rebound that was not in fact forthcoming? You are not alone.

Losing $100 has been shown empirically to cause twice as much pain as the pleasure one derives from gaining the same amount. The impulse to avoid (the pain of) losses at all cost can often lead to irrational decisions.

Confirmation Bias

No one likes being shown to be wrong, whether by our colleagues or by the stock market. We therefore subconsciously seek out and emphasise information that reinforces our view while ignoring or downplaying information that contradicts it.

To get closer to the truth, we must not wallow in the comfort of our preconceptions and prejudices and listen to those with a different point of view.

Cognitive Dissonance

When reality and our beliefs are in conflict, humans have a tendency to ‘rationalise’ the uncomfortable contradiction, to explain away the incongruity, by inventing excuses.

As investors, do you ever find it difficult to let go of an idea or a stock that you are attached to? Re-assess your thesis when the evidence is against it, instead of tweaking the evidence to justify it.

Availability Bias

It is easier for our brains to draw ideas from the more recent and salient information. This behavioural flaw causes us to attach more significance to events that have recently received heavy media coverage than they warrant.

Studies have found that companies with the highest press coverage in a given year tended to underperform in the next. Think twice before you buy stocks that appear in every news headline.


For more behavioural insights and words of investment wisdom, request a free copy of the booklet.

More on Curious Investor Behaviour

Solving the Retirement Riddle

The risk of running out of money in retirement is one of our greatest investment concerns. While starting early is an important step to managing this risk, it’s not enough. Embracing equities and fortitude are also key.   In this paper we seek to address the challenge facing individuals…

No Pain, No Gain

At the core of Platinum’s investment approach is a desire to go against the crowd, as we believe this is where the best opportunities lie. To achieve successful outcomes, we must embrace discomfort.

Our Own Worst Enemies

How does investor behaviour impact the performance of asset management businesses and how does Platinum counteract these biases in order to deliver better investment outcomes for clients?

Beware of the Trifecta of Desire

Douglas Isles, Investment Specialist, presented for the second consecutive year at the Portfolio Construction Forum’s Finology Summit in Sydney on 14 February 2018.

'Buy Low Sell High' Sounds Simple, But Investors Need a Framework

Douglas Isles, one of Platinum's Investment Specialists, presents at the Portfolio Construction Forum in Sydney, Australia on 15th February 2017.

share-icon Share

Loss Aversion, 'FoMo', Anxiety and Mistiming

Douglas Isles discusses four common behavioural problems that make the journey of investing particularly challenging for investors. An understanding of each of these can help address some of the barriers that prevent investor…

A Framework for Dealing with Change

Human beings are generally metathesiophobic, i.e. we have an intrinsic fear for change.

What is on Our Clients’ Minds, and How We Play Tricks on Ourselves

We conducted a survey to find out what was on our clients’ minds. But there was a twist. What interesting behavioural patterns did the experiment reveal?

share-icon Share
Thank you for your request. We will respond as soon as possible.